Thanks to a comment from Eugene Petrenko, I decided TeamCity was worth another shot. Everything I have heard has been positive, so I can’t let a little problem like not getting to my source control repository get in the way of continuous integration 🙂
Once again, I visited the TeamCity download site and read all of the fine print once again to figure out what I was missing. All I can gather right now is that I am going to want to upgrade, but I am not sure yet what the killer feature is that will push me to fork out the credit card digits.
Install was smooth (as it was the first time), but this time I changed the services to run using a domain build account instead of the local system account. There are 2 services that are installed with the default installation options, and I changed them both to run under this more privileged account:
I was definitely impressed with the ability to test the email settings. It was intuitive and gave me a better feel that things under the hood were put together in a manner consistent with the feedback I have heard about this tool.
Once I got the right user specified in the service it was able to connect to my VSS instance and I am now running my first test build. Not bad considering it took me about 15 minutes and I couldn’t even tell you where the documentation is located! I am warming up to this TeamCity stuff….